Produktbeskrivning för Vita Huset, Washington DC 1:160
The idea of building a palace for the president was had by President George Washington in about 1790. The architect James Hoban, who originated from Ireland, was asked to do the plans. Building construction started in 1792. In about 1800, when the White House was almost completed, President John Adams and his wife Abigail moved in as the first inhabitants. Since that time every president has made his own changes.
When the British occupied Washington in August 1814, the White House burned down. Only the exterior sandstone walls and the inner brick walls remained. The interior furnishing was completely destroyed. From 1815 to 1817 the White House was rebuilt and was given the coat of paint which gave it its name up to the present day. Further alterations and renovations took place at the beginning of the 20th Century, in the 40s and the 60s. The White House has 132 rooms, 35 bathrooms, 412 doors, 147 windows, 28 fireplaces, 8 staircases and 3 elevators. The inhabitants also have a tennis court, a jogging path, a swimming-pool, a cinema and a bowling alley.
The White House is surrounded by a botanical garden, which was already planned by George Washington, but only realised by Thomas Jefferson. At first only trees were planted, but later presidents had various flower gardens made (among them is the rose garden which John F. Kennedy had planted), a fruit and vegeTABLE garden and a tropical garden. In the South Garden official events, celebrations and press conferences take place. The East Garden (also called First Ladys Garden or Jaqueline Kennedy Garden) is the reception area for the presidents wife.
In the various eras the White House was called Presidents Palace, Presidents House and Executive Mansion. President Theodore Roosevelt gave the White House its official name in 1901. Nowadays it is considered to be the symbol of the presidency and the government of the United States. That is why in the press it is often used as a synonym for the government.
The White House can be visited at all times. This ruling goes back to the initiative of Thomas Jefferson, the third president of the USA and is considered to be a symbol for the openness of American democracy. The visitor has two different entrances. Usually eleven chosen rooms are shown. Among these are representative rooms like the Library, the Festival Hall, the State Dining Room as well as various reception rooms named after their dominating colours.
Längd: 420 mm
Bredd: 370 mm
Höjd: 220 mm
Antal blad: 12